Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tweet Tweet

On News1130 (Lower Mainland news radio station - February 3, 2012), a study was referenced about the increase in teen use of twittering.

It stated that with everybody, including Grandma, on facebook, teens were looking for new social media outlets. Some of the positive aspects of twitter from a teen perspective is the ability to have multiple accounts and the anonymity of the accounts. They also enjoy the limit of characters per tweet.

Esther was also thinking about tweeting and had this to say "Both Richardson and Maiers in our class texts discuss how to blog effectively for academic purposes. I think this is a discussion we need to have regarding tweeting. I remember being really turned off of tweeting when I was reading personal things about TL's I was following that I cared absolutely nothing about, like a leak in their roof or how tired they felt. Like the study suggests, I definitely prefer reading about relevant new information or being engaged in a dialogue." (see links for article)

My thoughts: Thank you Esther for the great lead in because, I can see a large amount of the teen population tweeting about bad hair days and nothing good to watch on tv...trivial things. Mind you if they are just tweeting with their friends then the subjects might not seem so trivial.

Now, I quite obviously (from my lack of knowledge) don't tweet so perhaps I am off the mark but, is it basically the same thing as a text message other than being sent to followers? If so, will texting become outdated?

Will facebook go the way of myspace? Did myspace go away?

No comments:

Post a Comment