Although I use technology with my students, I was on the outskirts of the new media age and really looking for some direction. My students and I started using a blog in January and, as Richardson suggested in Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms, I started small, having my students respond to questions posted by me (p. 45 – 46); it has been an amazing experience. Their excitement is inspiring, but, this is merely a stepping stone to what I want to accomplish in my classroom; the problem is, I didn’t know where to go, or how to get there.
With Richardson’s approval to be a learner first and a teacher second (p. 6) I centered my inquiry proposal on four technology goals: editing photographs, creating a multi-modal presentation, becoming a more efficient user of the web, and building a strong foundation of knowledge I could use to learn and teach web 2.0 tools.
I will not say that the process was seamless, but which each tool I explored, my understanding and proficiency in web 2.0 did grow. My understanding of these tools and how they work has been one of my greatest accomplishments as it has given me a strong foundation for learning.
I have definitely become a more efficient user of the web. With each tool I master, I become eager to try a new one. Now, with these six tools under my belt, I feel confident in my ability to use the web instead of just talk about it. Small things to many web users; linking, sharing, embedding, tagging have been giant accomplishments for me as it makes me believe that I am not only learning web 2.0 tools, but I am beginning to understand the terminology and the correlation between the tools. I do believe that this journey has moved me from novice to intermediate in my abilities and more importantly it has ignited my desire and confidence to develop a classroom rich in web 2.0 tools.
Although I feel capable of making my way through most web 2.0 tools, I still have much room for growth, especially in receiving and using information. I recognize that I am only at the tip of the iceberg in terms of using RSS and social bookmarking. I understand how they work and I am able to use them, however I know that there are many virtues still untapped. Going forward, this is a focus for me. With class wrapping up, I feel I have the time to truly explore these tools and develop a solid network of information retrieval, organization and sharing.
I am committed to being an educator that models new media literacy and teaches my students to become literate in this new media society. As Prensky (2001) stated, “unless we want to just forget about educating Digital Natives until they grow up and do it themselves, we had better confront this issue. And in so doing we need to reconsider both our methodology and our content”. I know now that I have the foundation of skills to do this; but I also recognize that in many ways, my learning is just beginning.
No comments:
Post a Comment